While we build our online catalog, customers can shop Penny Lane Boutique's ebay store. This is where you will find super low prices, mixed clothing lots and special items we don't have in our brick and mortar boutique!
At Penny Lane we are delighted to offer Library of Flowers. An American Small Batch Perfumery, carefully hand crafted to create a memorable journey through sight and scent. The line incorporates handcreme, shower gel, bath milk, candles and perfume.
Each scent creating moments captured in artful perfumes waiting to be released upon a happy whim. With scents like Linden Blossom, Sugared Fig, Apricot and Wildflowers, Library of Flowers plants seeds in the garden of the imagination.
More than just divine scents, Library of Flowers uses the most luxurious and restorative ingredients. Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter in Handcremes and Creme Parfum to quickly hydrate parched skin. Shower Gel can restore luster in skin through Royal Bee Balm. Bath Oils are infused with Chamomile and Ginseng leaving skin nourished.
Each treasure is hand touched, thoughtful and filled with personality and soul. Stop by and try some for yourself.
Holiday Party season is upon us. It all happened so quickly. You are now realizing that you have multiple holiday parties this month and nothing to wear. Fear not, ladies! Penny Lane is here to help!
The Office Party: The office party can be a bit tricky. You want to step outside your day-to-day work look, but need to keep it conservative enough to not be flagged by your HR department. In order to walk the fine line between festive and professional, we suggest a dress and jacket combination. Short enough to show off your legs, but topped off with a boardroom friendly, tailored blazer. And don’t be afraid to liven up the party by mixing prints with lace, sequins or vibrantly colored hues.
The Christmas Social: You can never go wrong wearing red to any Christmas party. Plus, because it’s with friends, anything goes. Dress up red with bold jewelry to make a statement or leave it as is for a more casual look. Regardless of the style, you will be sure to turn heads in a red hot show stopper.
The Holiday House Party: One simple formula for any informal holiday gathering: something casual + something sparkly. Pairing a slinky embellished top with distressed jeans equals the perfect outift for any family gathering. Keep everything dressy, except for your beat-up old denim, which will take this from predictable to chic.
New Year’s Eve: An alternative to the LBD, you can never go wrong in sexy skinny pants and super high heels. Pair your pants with a white silky top and great fur coat. Add a punch of color with a bold clutch. This will create a fun, sophisticated outfit that won’t look like you tried too hard.
Quartz crystals, minerals and natural stones abound in every jewelry line nowadays, marrying spirituality with the form and function of fashion. I am so excited about the newest addition to Penny Lane: Blue Moon Crystals.
All gemstones come from the Earth, so each one is charged with all the powerful energies that the Earth possesses. Check it out; it’s interesting stuff!
Point Quartz in Bullet Casing (silver or bronze)
- Clear Quartz – Opens the mind and heart to higher guidance, allowing the realm of Spirit to be transmitted and translated into the world of physical form.
- Rose or Pink Quartz – A stone of love, it promotes compassion, appreciation and soothing calm.
- Smoky Quartz – A premiere grounding stone, dissipating emotional and environmental negativity.
- Onyx – Provides inner strength, stability and fortitude.
- Hematite – Very protective and offers retreat and the safety of being hidden from your enemies.
- Amethyst – Represents royalty and spirituality, and is a crystal of creativity.
- Tiger’s Eye – Are the stones of action, pride, protection, and reflecting back negative energies.
- Snow or Milky Quartz – Supportive for lesson learning, realizing limitations and utilizing tact.
- Aventurine – A stone of optimism, leadership and prosperity.
- Blue Aragonite – A stone of hope, compassion and may help to relieve stress.
Rough Point Quartz (silver dipped)
- Rock Crystal – One of the most powerful healing stones which can be applied to a broad scope of metaphysical problems. It is suitable for healing wounds that originate in the past. Rock crystal helps with improving self-respect. It increases energy, and in particular, the energy of all the other crystals.
Amethyst Druzy Quartz (gold dipped)
- Amethyst – Represents royalty and spirituality, and is a crystal of creativity. Light and joy are brought to an environment through druzy quartz. The gem also works on imbalances in the wearer’s body, keeping you fit and vitalized.
Geode Druzy Agate Slice (gold dipped)
- Gray Banded Agate – A stabilizing and strengthening stone, facilitating acceptance of one’s self. Geodes are able to help the wearer see the ‘whole perspective’ and situations from different viewpoints. They can bridge communications and are also helpful for clearing one’s mind for meditation. Agate geodes are especially powerful in alleviating stress and strengthening spirituality.
Agate Arrowhead (gold dipped)
- Green Agate – A stabilizing and strengthening stone, facilitating acceptance of one’s self. This green stone may assist you to correct imbalances between the two sides of the brain. The arrowhead symbol is thought to represent the hunter and adventurer in each of us.
“The energy of life entering and leaving your body flows evenly throughout the universe. With that current, the mind of the cosmos communicates with all things.”
As we know, The Coachella Valley Music and Art Festival is king when it comes to fashion. Ladies start planning their outfits months in advance and shop for finishing touches up until the very last second. Here are some quick tips to ensure you look good and have a good time...
1. DO rock a maxi dress. But DON'T wear one so long it drags through the trash littered grass and dirt.
2. No matter how cute your fresh pedicure is, DON'T wear flip-flops. Military or cowboy boots are the way to have fun at Coachella without having to make a trip to the First Aid Tent for a broken toe.
3. DO show some skin in a breezy sundress, crop top or jean shorts. But DON'T forget to protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunscreen!
4. DON'T bring your favorite pair of expensive shades. DO opt for a cheap pair of fun, bold sunnies that won't break the bank (or your heart) if they fall off your face and get crushed!
5. DO bring a cross-body bag or fanny pack.
6. DO pile on all the jewelry and accessories. DON'T forget to reduce the chance of discolored skin by giving inexpensive metal jewelry a quick coat or two of clear nail polish.
7. Speaking of discolored skin, if you plan on dying your hair a bright shade for the festival, DON'T do it the night before. Scorching sun, sweat and fuchsia hair color are not a good combo.
8. DO wear billowy dresses, pants and tops in breathable fabrics and bold colors and prints such as floral, tie dye and tribal-inspired. Only wear white, cream or light pastels if you DON'T mind getting a little dirty.
9. DON'T over apply makeup. An outdoor festival calls for glowing, fresh skin. Opt for a bright lip and waterproof mascara.
10. DO style your hair up and out of your face with braids and ponytails. DON'T forget a hat for Sunday, to hid that third day hair.
11. DO pack a handkerchief in case the winds pick up. Sand and dust storms are relentless in Indio, CA.
12. DO layer. The days can be HOT but desert nights can get pretty chilly. Wear a kimono or button-up top that can be tied around your waist when it's hot, or a silk scarf wrapped around your head during the day that you can wrap up with at night.
13. Lastly, DON'T take your festival look too seriously. Have fun with your outfits and try something new.
Have fun at Coachella! Hope to see some of you there representing Penny Lane Boutique!
PS. Visit the shop for all your festival DO's. 73290 El Paseo, Suite 1 Palm Desert, CA 92260
Pantone announced “Marsala” as the official color of 2015. Marsala is naturally robust, earthy red-wine color that makes a grounded statement when used on its own or a strong accent when paired with icy grays or toasted nudes.
Marsala is a subtly seductive shade, one that draws us in to its embracing warmth.
-Leatrice EisemanExecutive Director, Pantone Color Institute®
Each year, fashion houses, cosmetics companies and interior designers are influenced by Pantone’s color reports. The color of the year isn’t meant to take over our world. Marsala can be an accent wall or throw pillow, a sweep of eye shadow, statement jewelry or a staple piece of clothing we add to our wardrobe. It’s a color you can mix with what you already own. The intent and purpose is to add a touch of marsala to gray, black, or beige or make it the center of your outfit.
Pantone also offers color pairings. 2015 is an eclectic mix of muted brights, pale pastels and nature inspired neutrals taking us back to the dream of a simpler time.
Fall is FINALLY here in Southern California and I don’t know about you, but I am very happy about the thoughts of sweaters, scarves, boots and pumpkin spice lattes. After extensive “research” (combing through fashion blogs and magazines), I’ve compiled a list of this year’s most wearable trends for Fall.
Matching 2pc Suits // The great thing about a matchy-matchy set is that it’s three outfits in one. Wear the top and bottom separately or rock it all together.
Leopard // Is this print ever really out? Not in my world. But this season animal print has a slightly softer edge in flowing fabrics or body conscious cuts. Layer prints or wear one amazing statement piece. If you don’t have leopard print in your closet, now is the time to add it!
Orange // Insert hilarious “Orange Is The New Black” joke here. But really, orange is a prominent color in both Fall and Spring runways. We are seeing everything from fiery red oranges to soft peachy pastels and pops of coral.
Slip Dresses // 90s minimalism at its best. We love the slip dress… but it can be tricky. My two favorite ways to wear a slip dress are: A. Tone down the sexiness by pairing it with your most “grunge” accessories. Plaid flannel or cardigan and military boots. B. Amp up the elegance with a tuxedo jacket or blazer, heels and a sparkly clutch.
Cute Animals // Who doesn’t love an adorable animal or two? Clothing designers definitely do this season, and our furry friends were spotted as delicate appliques on tops and sweaters to all-over patterned dresses.
Menswear-Inspired Footwear // Geek chic is taking Fall trend by storm. From boardroom to bar these androgynous shoes are undeniably sexy!
Gray // Head to toe, mixed with muted jewel tones or paired with pop color, gray is the happy medium if you can’t decide between wearing black or white.
Fur // Be it real or faux, fur is seen on vests, motorcycle jackets, collars, and even boots. And don’t forget, if you want to wear the real deal, buy vintage fur. It is the most eco-friendly and least controversial.
Plaid // Plaid is usually a Fall and Winter staple. There are just so many reasons to love it. Plaid can be prim and proper, a bit naughty and wild or completely classic.
Need a break from the madness of Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival? Come visit us at Penny Lane and take a wander through our neighborhood. El Paseo is home to the chicest boutiques and best restaurants in the Coachella Valley. Here are a few of our favorite places:
Refresh Your Festival Do
Let the dynamic, fashion forward stylists at Roberto Madera Salon help you decide on the perfect, stand out festival look. Don’t worry, you can look cute while staying cool. Try a crown of braids, messy bun or boho waves. https://www.facebook.com/robertomaderasalon
Learn the art of cigar smoking from the pros at Palm Desert Tobacco. The Bruning Family has offered the Coachella Valley fine cigars and tobacco for over 40 years. http://www.pdtobacco.com/PD_Tobacco/Home.html
Take In Some Art
Melissa Morgan Fine Art is 6500 square feet of beautifully curated contemporary art, unlike any other gallery in the Coachella Valley. http://melissamorganfineart.com/
Wilma & Frieda’s Cafe is a full service breakfast and lunch farmhouse cafe. The atmosphere at Wilma & Frieda’s is warm and inviting and the menu is delightful and locally sourced whenever possible. http://www.wilmafrieda.com/
Family run, FIX, was born from The Pastry Swan Bakery. Serving the Coachella Valley for over 25 years. FIX’s menu is fresh daily, made from scratch. Check out their “Attitude Adjustment Hour” from 3-7pm daily for specials on select drinks and appetizers. http://www.pastryswan.com/
Thee best sushi in the Coachella Valley. Hands down. Owner/Chef Engin Onural at Venue Sushi Bar and Sake Lounge creates edible art. Voted Palm Springs Life “Best of the Best.” http://www.thevenuepalmdesert.com/
Out of the Closet Designer Consignment offers gently worn clothing, shoes and accessories from Gucci, Fendi, Chanel, Marc Jacobs and Versace. http://outoftheclosetdesignerconsignment.com/
Visit the lovely ladies of Trio to be outfitted in the latest from Wildfox, Indah, Current/Elliott and Daftbird – just to name a few. https://www.facebook.com/TrioPalmDesert
Cutting Edge Jewelry
Let the staff at Josie’s Heart help you build your own Love Heals necklace, pick out the perfect Virgin Saints & Angels piece or drape you in Chan Luu. https://www.facebook.com/JosiesHeartElPaseo/info
Penny Lane. A song written by The Beatles and released on the Magical Mystery Tour LP in 1967. Named after a street in the band’s hometown of Liverpool, where John Lennon and Paul McCartney would meet to catch a bus into the city. One day, while waiting for Lennon, McCartney jotted down the things he saw. A bank, a barber shop, a nurse selling poppies.
Penny Lane. A character in Cameron Crowe’s 2000 comedy-drama Almost Famous. The film was semi-autobiographical, depicting the life of a teenage journalist, traveling with a rock band, writing for Rolling Stone Magazine. Penny Lane, played by Kate Hudson, is the leader of the “Band Aids.” A group of women that loved the music and inspired the musicians.
MY Penny Lane isn’t named after either one. Penny Lane on El Paseo is an ode to my Grandmother. Neva J Riggs. One of the most amazing women I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. Her eclectic style and her love for all things weird shaped the person I am today and inspired my pretty, little shop.
Vintage and thrift shopping was always a pastime we enjoyed together. My Grandmother was a member of the Santa Monica chapter of the Assistance League. She volunteered at The Bargain Bazaar Thrift Store, which is still a primary fundraiser, assisting local children and families by providing school supplies, scholarships, clothing and vision and dental care. I can clearly remember going to The BB, I couldn’t have been older than six, helping sort through donations. I was allowed me keep a pile of things for myself. In my Grandmother’s opinion, nothing was off-limits when it came to fashion.
My Grandmother’s passion for fashion was passed down to my Mom, as well. My Mom grew up sewing and reconstructing clothes. Bandana halter tops, bell bottom jeans and crochet dresses. She sewed clothes for me when I was too young to pick my own, including an amazing denim jacket that I still have today. My Mom, also an avid vintage shopper, encouraged me to find my own style. And saw me through every crazy trend er, non-trend, I tried. And believe me, some were BAD. Before high school, my clothing collection contained, at one time or another: neon bike shorts, lace fingerless gloves, a Shirley Temple wig, Birkenstocks, Hypercolor shirts, spiked collars, military boots and random pieces kept from Halloween costumes of years passed. It has all inspired and cultivated the style I have today. Which I cannot seem to categorize. I wear what I like and what I feel good in.
I want Penny Lane to be that same inspiration for everyone that steps inside. The store is hand curated to offer the classic basics we all need, to the most ridiculous pieces of vintage that are almost unwearable, and everything in between. Come in. Have fun. Play dress up. Anything goes. It’s only clothes.
PS. I know I didn’t answer the question behind the name. Some secrets are meant to be kept.